Monday, May 23, 2011

Grandpa Mason



My Grandpa Lawrence Mason died on May 5th. His health had been deteriorating for quite some time and I think only hung on as long as he did for my Grandma who was devastated even at 88 years to let him go. We were able to go up for the funeral and see cousins (mostly Diana and Rogers family) who I haven't seen in years. It was really neat to see them all. All the kids learned and song an arrangement of I need thee every hour and it was awesome! Its amazing what can happen when you get a group of people that know how to sing and how quickly they can learn something. It was really neat!
My grandpa and I weren't super close. He was kind of a background figure to my grandma while I knew him, but it was fun for me to hear how my dad and his brothers and sister spoke of him growing up. He loved his fishing, war stories, the news, Jazz games and teaching Sunday school. But what made the service neat for me was, my dad had a dream the night before the funeral service that he saw my grandpa in the church in Aurora where the service was held and my dad asked him if he could sit down and talk, and my Grandpa told my dad that "he'd love to son, but there is so much work to do." Isn't that cool? Even when they leave this life old and barely moving, their spirits are quick to get to work on the other side. His grave yard service of course had a military salute with guns, trumpets the whole bit, and it was really cool. I mourn for my Grandma, but she's in a good rest home now where her and Grandpa were before he died and its close to Marlin and Cynthia. And she's a strong woman. I love you Grandpa and the legacy you left.

1 comment:

Marisa Jean said...

So sorry, Wendy! That dream is really neat--I'm sure it gives your Dad comfort to know that his Father is able to do the things he loves and is already hard at work.

I do feel for your Grandma though. No matter how old I am, I never want my companion and love to leave me. I'm getting a little teary even thinking about it. :( Hopefully they'll be reunited soon! Not that I want your Grandma to pass, just so they can be together....I hope that makes sense.